Saturday, December 26, 2009

I am making mashed potatoes with sour cream/butter ahead of time, should I put the other ingredients in on the?

I am making a large amount of mashed potatoes for a party on Saturday. I add a lot of sour cream %26amp; butter to it. I want to peel the potatoes ahead of time, mash them before Saturday. What is the best way to do this....Ideally I would love to only do a little at a time....how much can I do ahead %26amp; how much should I wait for the last minute. Could I even make them up today if I wanted (thursday) leave in the fridge til I leave on Saturday....I want them to taste delicious. What do you suggest for the best flavor?I am making mashed potatoes with sour cream/butter ahead of time, should I put the other ingredients in on the?
.


Go ahead and prepare the entire dish ahead of time. Time saver and still great flavor. Less cooking, more time to socialize.


I prepare mashed potatoes same as you...potatoes, butter, sour cream, salt, pepper . . .


I discovered to do this as I used to prepare mashed potatoes on same day as Thanksgiving. Cooking potatoes, mashing, stirring in ingredients, etc. then served at table.


Then over next day or two we'd have leftovers. I'd heat up the potatoes and they tasted as good, if not better, than when served on Thanksgiving day.





Prepare and cook the mashed potato dish same as you would if making on same day as social event.


Prepare the mashed potato dish, spoon it into a pyrex style glass dish, cover with plastic wrap, store in fridge.


This can be done up to two days ahead, though I usually prepared it the night before.





Day of event, place dish in oven (or microwave) and heat till at desired temp. Stir once or twice during heating to have heat evenly distributed.





Have done this for several years and works out great.


Discovered same could be done for gravy.


If it tastes good for day or two as leftovers...that's a good sign you can make it days ahead before social event.


.I am making mashed potatoes with sour cream/butter ahead of time, should I put the other ingredients in on the?
The best way is to peel the potatoes today, put in fridge covered in water so they dont turn brown. Boil tomorrow early evening and make like normal. Just remember to cool them good before putting in the fridge, use a couple shallow pans if possible, and make sure they are heated up really nice and hot when they are served on Saturday.


I also use sour cream and butter when I make mine - I also add a couple dashes of Parmesan Cheese for a little extra flavor.





Good Luck!
if you make em now - save the ';flavor'; ingredients till you reheat them before the event - it's okay if you put in the butter and milk for now - and refridgerate em well sealed in a tupperware type container- when


you re zap em, break break into loose chunks- then mash in sour cream and melted butter - but by the table spoon as you re-mash- they will get more creamy and soft - keep em fluffy and not too wet -





mashed potatoes don't stay hot real well- they will get 'hard' and dried out if you leave in a hot crock pot for too long -
Go ahead and cook the potatoes like today or tomorrow. Mash them Saturday morning with the rest of the ingredients and then put them in a crook pot. Heat on low for several hours or on high for about 1 hour or so. I would bring the whole crook pot to the party and plug it back in when you get there. A crock pot is a wonderful way to keep food warm for a long time.
Cook everything that you want..I did the same thing and for the party I threw them in a crock pot, added a little milk and stirred. Put it on high an hour before the party, then on low...








If you peel and cut them up and don't cook them right away - put them covered with water until the time you want to boil them!
you could go ahead and peel them and put them in the fridge in water, make sure the water covers up the potatoes or they will turn brown. I wouldnt cook them until the day that you are going to the party. They would have a weird taste to them if you did them too soon.
I would wait till the day of your party to mash, season, butter and sour cream them. That will re-freshen the taste of the potatoes giving the idea that you just made them that day.. Good Luck!
If you use a waxy potato, just wash and cube them to the size you normally would. Cover with water and seal up container. Thtas about all I would suggest doing early.


PS add some chives or green onion to those, its so good
Make them today and do them all the way. If you don't finish them they get starchy. My tip is to add a little extra liquid so that reheating them does not dry them out. Add some extra milk or chicken stock.


Have fun
Puhleeze鈥?my kitchen experience is limited to frozen pizzas, popcorn and 'tater chips with salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment